This recipe came to be simply because I had to use what I had on hand. I wasn’t sure about pairing the Marsala with balsamic but the results were quite delicious. This was my fist time trying turnips. They are pretty good. They have a slightly radish like flavor to them and are a great alternative to mashed potatoes. (If you’re avoiding potatoes because you’re Paleo or sensitive to nightshades give them a try).
Balsamic Marsala Beef Short Ribs + Mashed Turnips + Potatoes
gluten-free | soy-free | dairy-free | paleo (with the turnips)
Beef Short Ribs:
4 Beef Short Ribs
1 cup beef broth
1 cup Marsala cooking wine
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon worchestshire sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 bay leaf
1 yellow onion sliced
4 garlic cloves minced
salt, pepper, garlic powder
1 tablespoon of starch (corn starch, tapioca and arrowroot) mixed with about 3 tablespoons cold water.
3 carrots cut lengthwise
6 yellow potatoes
olive oil to taste
salt & pepper to taste
1. Season each side of the short ribs with pepper, salt and garlic powder.
2. In a cast iron pan heat about a tablespoon of oil (I like grapeseed oil) add the short ribs and brown on each side just to give it a nice sear. Remove the short ribs from pan.
3. Add the sliced onions to the pan and sautee for just a couple of minutes. Add garlic and the Marsala wine and bring to a light boil.
4. In your slowcooker add worchestshire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf, wine and onions. Then add the short ribs meatier side down. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
5. About an hour before the ribs are done start making your sides. I made mashed potatoes and some mashed turnips (just boil until tender then add butter or oil, salt and pepper. You don’t need to season too much as they’ll be covered in the sauce) . I also made roasted carrots. Brush oil on a baking sheet and lay carrots on the sheet. (Roasting tip: give veggies space when roasting, when their crowded they steak and get mushy). Bake at 420 degrees for about 8-10 minutes then flip and cook until cooked through.
6. After the short ribs are cooked take the liquid from the crockpot and add to a saucepan. Bring it to a boil then add the starch/water mixture and boil a minute longer until thickened.
7. Plate it. I put carrots, then potatoes and turnips, the short ribs, then pour your sauce around the sides.